Monday, February 14, 2005

I just want to say that I love 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition'. It totally starts my week off with the right attitude and a reminder that I am so fortunate for everything I have. If any of you saw last night's episode, the crew built a duplex in Denver, CO for two homeless families. Like Ty said on the show, meeting them and hearing the stories of all the other homeless families in the shelter they had stayed in really changes your viewpoint of the word homeless. These people weren't homeless, in fact, they were just 'house'less. Home, after all, is wherever you are standing. Home is in your heart. They were two great families who absolutely loved their kids and it broke their hearts to not be able to provide for them. It could happen to anyone of us at any time. It broke my heart and every Sunday, the stories of the families on this show breaks my heart. But more than that, I think I was completely inspired. I was inspired to actually do something. It's not enough to watch a show on Sunday nights and watch the heartbreak and situations of struggle in the world and say, 'Oh, that's too bad', or 'That is soo sad.'

I think a lot of us feel inspired by things like that and don't know what to actually do about it. Maybe we don't have time, or we don't have the extra money to share. I don't have much of either, but I think I've come up with a plan. I don't think I am going to share it just yet, because David and I want to take some time this year to be aware and research some organizations and learn more about what we can do for those less fortunate in our community, or in the world, who knows? Our actions may not be evident right away but we are aiming to do something special this year around the holidays. And, no, I really don't have the time, but we are bound and determined to set aside some money when bonus time rolls around and instead of spending it on ourselves, we will do something for someone else. We definately don't want people to think, 'wow, they are so great for doing that', because that's not what it's about. We just feel compelled to help in some way, and this is what we came up with. All I can say is, set aside some pennies here and there. Because we plan to ask our loved ones to help with whatever cause we deem worthy. I think it's a good plan.....keep me accountable to follow up with it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mandy said...

I can't wait to see what your plan is. I'm glad that you're going to do something like that. When you give to other people it changes you more than it does them.

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home